attention !
whether you need it or not.. we all need...
THE TOP 10 handy dandy tips about college....
I like to count, so maybe that's why I keep on having these entries about counting down or counting how many things i need to do.. etc. everything's more orderly this way, doncha think? anyway! These are not in a certain order. I'm just writing them as I think of them.
10. Try not to schedule classes before 9am.
I know in high school your day started at like 7am or 6am or even 5am if you were on the swimming team. but in college, it's a whole diff. ballpark. your classes can start whenever you want them to. so if you can avoid it, try scheduling your classes after 9am. trust me, you will neither wake up nor have the motivation to go to them.
9. Don't eat past 11pm.
Seriously. This is where the Freshman15, Sophomore20, Junior25, and Senior 30 come in. Haha, I made the latter 3 up. But this is why people gain weight. All we do is sit, eat, study, and do it all over again. We don't sleep enough to have the food digest either. So it's a baaaaaaad cycle. So discipline yourself and don't eat past 11pm.
8. Decorate your room.
Unless your roommate objects, make your dorm room your own. I think the kind of environment you study in, sleep in, and have friends over in is quite important. Unless your roommate kicks you out of your room often and you are sexiled... then o well, guess there's no point in decorating. Otherwise, buy a couple cheap posters from ebay, hang pictures of your family, your friends from high school years, prom, whatever. anything!
7. Be organized.
Make folders in your computer for each of your classes; if you use GMAIL, have your school emails forwarded to that gmail account and use filters & labels to organize your classes. Seriously. Don't just be organized with your planner, binders, and paper. This goes beyond that.
6. Call your family/friends back at home.
Your family and friends miss you ! So let them know that you're still alive by calling them. And no, facebooking/emailing them is unacceptable. Actually hearing your voice is a lot more satisfying. And even if you hate your parents, still call them. Even if it's to just let them know what time you're gonna be coming home from Thanksgiving break.
5. Do your laundry every 2-3wks!
Trust me, people will start to notice. Plus, don't you start running low on underwears/boxers and bras? I like cleaning out the lint traps. Hehe. That's my favorite part.
4. Get yourself your own digicam, cell phone, mp3 player/ipod....
A digicam is handy because you can take snapshots whenever you want to. Take anything ! From a pile of leaves to your laptop, your floormates to even your professor. Some people like "organizing [their] life into photo albums".
Believe it or not...... there are people out there without cell phones. I know. Take a moment to breathe. But no matter who you are, you need one. To call someone to let them know you'll be late to the meeting, to call your professor, to call and have someone to eat lunch with, to call your old buddies after classes while you're walking back to your dorm. There's no point in getting a room phone because hardly anyone's in their room 24/7. So how else can people contact you quick and fast??
Mp3players are REAL handy while you're walking to and from classes, while you're working out, jogging, etc. It's also a handy tool to use to not fall asleep in class. Just stick one earphone in an ear and put it on low volume. But whenever you feel like you're falling asleep, just pay attention to the music. Just make sure it's not like slow sappy songs but upbeat happy songs. Always works for me. =)
3. Invest in friendships.
A huge difference between college & high school is the fact that you're LIVING with people. You may even live in the SAME ROOM no bigger than 18x18 with a complete stranger. There will be people ALLL around you. I'm even living with 5 girls and I feel like I could get to know them better. And I wish I did. B/c supposedly college is the place where you could potentially meet your husband/wife, maid of honor/best man. Sooo better be on the lookout ! Haha, kidding. But not about meeting the potentials. Take the time to get dinner with them. Even while waiting in line can stir up conversations. Walk to the meetings together. Whether or not you have lots of friends or not, we are all meant to have relationships. No matter how big of an introvert and loner you may be.. there's always room for friends. So don't leave 'em hanging.
2. Always carry a book to read.
This is always nice so you don't get bored in between classes. Sometimes I end up wandering around for an entire hour, wasting time surfing the internet (dang, who uses that phrase anymore), napping and then waking up grumpy, etc. Bring your Bible, devotional, novel of the month, newspaper, even a sudoku book for all I care. Have something to read to fill in the gaps in between. You never know what you can learn...... !
1. Try something (or many things!) you've NEVER tried before!
So anti-climactic, right? -______-^
Rush for a fraternity/sorority, try Greek food, pick up a language, walk backwards to class, ride a unicycle, learn how to ballroom dance, go for a whole week w/o saying a single word, actually go to class (oooh, good one), anything anything anything !
What new things have I tried? I've performed in front of hundreds of people, made a CD with Koinonia, got a job (wOot-woOt!), went to an actual swing dance club/venue, tried pho (didn't like it tooooo much), asked someone to be my mentor, slept over at the library (not such a hot idea), among other things. Doesn't sound so exciting, I guess, but to me, they're really memorable and that's what makes my year awesome.
=====
So was this good/bad? I think I write for you and I both, so even if you thought it was completely worthless, it's okay. =)
Here's a korean song that's so cheesy but so cute. It's Eugene (from S.E.S.) singing the most cheesiest song. But people say that I sing like her, so you be the judge of that.
It's called 늘 처음처럼 (Loving You) from her first album - "My True Style". Enjoy! And I'm outs.

0 comments:
Post a Comment