Things I've learned/realized/etc - Summer 06
1. Throw away your pride
--So many times this summer I thought I was right. In almost every arena. With relationships, friends, family, school, church, whatever. I only considered my opinion. And since I only considered that one opinion only, I convinced myself that I was right--always right. Getting the picture? But how arrogant of me, isn't it ?! Who's to say that I know everything and that I am the wisest of them all? I know I'm not. So why do I pretend like some charlatan? Many of my friends were telling me the same things.
- "Just talk to that freakin' person. What do you have to lose?"
- "Go apologize to that person, even if it wasn't your fault."
- Here's this website. What you said was completely wrong. <-- Haha, I love this one.
And lots of other examples. But the lesson is learned. For sure.
2. I'm not an avid reader
--I only read when I have time. Since summer school was over, I didn't have to sit on my butt for an hour on the train and read. Honestly, I kind of miss reading. But I seem to choose the wrong novels. The last three I chose were really odd and didn't capture my attention at all. I have books on hold @ the library, too, but now I don't have enough time to finish them. But now I'm just blabbing. So yes, I am no avid reader.
3. I like being in control
--I realized this when we were swing dancing last Friday. There were lots of women present during the lessons so Sarah Cho & I hopped over on the leads side (where most of the guys are leads) and we learned how to play the guy's part in the dancing. As I was dancing with diff. women present, I realized that I liked leading them under the turns. I wanted to control which move we would do next. I wanted to be trusted and relied on. I think that's why I didn't dance with other random men b/c I kinda don't like how the ywould dance however they wanted. And I dunno how they exactly dance b/c it's not like I check 'em out before they ask me. Also, even when I was teaching the guys some turns and random moves I realized that I was really controlling which move they would do next. Granted, they were just in the learning stages, but I knew that they were depending on me to teach them something new to keep the dancing going. Haha, I'm not trying to demean those guys or anything, they're good and have lots of potential. But I'm just saying that at that time, I felt like I was in control.. and I liked it.
That's why I like driving so much. Even though it does get tiring and whatever, but I really do. I like being in control of what kind of music I listen to, how fast I can go, etc. I like singing as loud as I want and dancing as hard as I want while the music's blasting.
I like power... that is essentially why I like control. Muhahaha. Don't be scared.
4. I'm more artistic than I thought
--Ever since I picked up Photoshop, I realized the artistic capabilities I have. I know it's nothing compared to actual web designers and photographic geeks, but granted that I can't draw anything besides organic molecules and the closest thing to painting is coloring inside the lines.. I think I'm pretty darn good. =) I still have lots to learn.. but I'm looking forward to it!
5. God .. is just amazing
--I've witnessed friends stray away from God.. and come back.. stray away again, and then finally realize and accept that Jesus is truly their Savior. It's encouraging to see them finally believe in something even though the cost is great and sometimes it doesn't seem like it's worth it. But I love hearing the words from them, "It's worth it. My life is worth it. To live for Him." Thank You, God.
Reading the testimonies of the Youth Group Cambodia Team, one of the girls mentioned that she couldn't believe that God would use someone as insignificant and small as her. She doubted His power and didn't realize how much He was capable of. As I was praying for the team, I wanted God to really move in their lives. That they will come back w/ encouraging testimonies and that they would experience that the rest of us here @ home would be itching to experience. And now that they're back, and listening to some of them share about their short term mission trip.. I'm more than thankful that God chose them for His plan.
I dunno if I grew any more spiritually, but the sermon series @ church on Sunday mornings have been a constant reminder that what we have as Christians is something precious and we cannot waste it. The inductive Bible studies on Friday nights were especially helpful b/c I've never really studied studied the Bible. I just kinda read thru it and try to interpret it. But I never look at the little things like what kind of words are used, what tenses, etc. I've never read a direct translation of the Bible b/c they were always confusing. But being able to decipher it with a group of people was helpful.
6. Fall06 will be a killer
Here's my [schedule]. Please pray for me. For strength every freakin' day. For the motivation to work, to research, to be organized, to go to class, even. On top of this, I have Koinonia every Friday night, Case in Point rehearsals, and if I get to be a tour guide.. then I'll probably do several tours each week. Just in case you're curious about my future plans, junior year I'm going to apply for the MS/BS program which means that senior year, I will be working towards my Masters Degree so when I go to grad school I will go straight into getting a Ph.D. That means I gotta pull up my grades from those bad B's to amazing A's. Haha. ^ ^;; But really. No more fooling around, really.
===============================
Well, that's enough talking for me, today. Some last minute things to do is school supply shopping, start packing everything except for clothes for school, meet up w/ a few more people, then I'm off to europe 6 days. This Sunday's the last chance to say bye to me, b/c I'm not gonna be able to see you when I come back from Europe. And then I probably won't be back home until wintertime. So if you wanna say bye.. you better go to church. haha. xP
I'll leave you w/ another one of my creations... =)

heheh...a control freak...I KNEW IT.
Anonymous said...i was gonna say more, but i must resist...
you're purty
Anonymous said...